- Joseph H. Freeman (1841-1931) was superintendent of the West Aurora Schools from 1879 to 1886.
- As a Civil War veteran, Freeman was often referred to as Captain Freeman.
- In his later years, he was called upon to speak at numerous patriotic celebrations as he was considered a splendid orator.
- Freeman had the distinction of serving as superintendent of both the East and West Aurora Schools.
- At his funeral, the presiding minister prefaced his eulogy with these words. “I shall be totally unable to say anything that will in any way enhance this life which has been lived so nobly in our midst.”